Yellow nails are not reserved for smokers or the elderly: many other factors can cause yellow nails. Today, your expert nail supplier Maryton will tell you the causes of yellow nail and how to prevent yellowing of your nails.
The different causes of yellow nails
The causes of yellowed nails are very numerous:
- A sickness
Most often, yellow nails are caused by a disease. From a simple mineral deficiency to a more serious illness, such as diabetes, psoriasis, thyroid dysfunction, or even chronic bronchitis. Also, taking certain medications can cause the nails to turn yellow.
- Nail polish
Nail polish can also yellow the nails, especially dark colored nail polish or in red-orange tones. When you apply varnish too often to your nails, without letting them breathe between two applications, the nails will turn yellow.
- False nails
Some products used by beauticians for the installation of false nails, in particular glues containing chemical substances, will damage the nails and make them more brittle, but also turn them yellow.
- The tobacco
Smoking is another possible cause of yellowing nails. Indeed, the nicotine contained in the cigarette tends to color the nails.
- Aging nails
Last cause of yellowed nails: aging nails. As we age, our nails change in appearance: they can become more brittle and more or less thick, but also turn yellow.
How to prevent yellowing of nails?
To prevent your nails from turning yellow, it is important to ensure good hand and foot hygiene:
- Wash your hands and feet regularly and let your nails dry after each wash
- Clean your nails with a nail brush 1-2 times a week
- Let your nails breathe between two varnish applications and protect them with a base coat
- Don’t put solvent on your nails too often and prefer acetone-free solvents
- Avoid filing your nails too often
- Avoid polishing your nails if they are thin
- Regularly disinfect your nail care accessories
- Wear shoes that are the right size and well breathable
- Avoid shoes made of plastic or synthetic materials.
You now know the causes of yellow nail and how to catch it, take into action quickly. In addition to these, I advise you to invest in a complete manicure kit! To help you in your choice, I invite you to visit our website.
Read also: Black nail: causes and how to catch it?